Monday, April 29, 2013

My Natural Hair Journey pt. 1

      Its been over 3 months since I had my hair relaxed and 2 months of transitioning. I must say that Im happy that I made the choice to go natural. Ive seen alot of changes in my hair. Before transitioning my hair was very weak, brittle and thinning. Now my hair is strong, thick and growing.

       I just recently took out my twists I did with extensions(kept them in for over a month) and I noticed growth especially around the nape area (back of my head). My nape was where I had saw the most damage and breakage over the years, especially when I had my last relaxer. It had gotten so short that I could barely grip the hair when I was putting my extensions in. Now my nape is thick and full. I know its going to be a few more months before i see significant growth. But as long as I know its growing healthy, I'm fine with that.

        I'm aware that there are pros and some cons to going natural and the #1 con on my list is "Shrinkage". Sometimes I find myself a little upset because its hard to tell if your hair has grown. When I moisturize my hair it shrinks, making it hard to see actual growth. #2 is that I'm having a hard time with is finding the "right" kind of hair products that are great for 4B hair. I started using Dark ~n~ lovely's new natural mango moisturizer. It makes my hair soft but when it begins to dry it leaves  this flacky white residue in my hair. Finding the perfect products have been a challenge for me. And #3 is time. I understand that growing hair takes time but it can be a little frustrating. Its almost like planting a seed and waiting for it to grow, some plants grow faster than others. I just have to learn that it takes time, everyones hair isn't the same (mines grows a little slower) and to keep reminding myself that it'll all be worth it in the end.

        For the first time in years I'm actually seeing my natural hair texture. I have been relaxing my hair for so long that I didn't know how my natural hair looked or felt . Like I mentioned above my natural hair is a 4B. So it's taking a lot of getting use to. But overall I'm happy. Ive started trimming off my split ends and in some areas my relaxed hair was so thin and damaged I just cut it off completely. I'm feeling like I'm becoming more ready to do the "big chop" and just get rid of all my damaged hair all together.  I'll give it another month or so. Everyone was right, dealing with 2 kinds of textured hair can be a challenge.

       So far my regimen includes using Aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 6 weeks, co washing 1 to 2 times a week using Organix coconut milk conditioner (smells great). When I do shampoo my hair I shampoo once a week to once every 2 weeks depending on the dryness of my hair. I also use Wild growth oil 1 to 2 times a day (usually when I wake up in the morning and/or right before I go to bed at night. I always try to keep my hair moisturized and conditioned. I use Aphogee Pro-vitamin Leave-in conditioner everyday. That's until I can find a better one. Along with the Wild growth oil, I use Argan oil to help seal in the moisture and add shine. I started using Dark-n-Lovely natural hair mango moisturizer but Im probably going to discontinue use because of all the residue it leaves in my hair. I was also using Profectiv root healthy cream but I stopped using it because it leaves my hair feeling sticky. I always make sure my hair is wrapped with a satin scarf before bed. Also on occasion I use CHI keratin mist (I'd say twice a week).

    I have been keeping my hair in protective styles (twists, braids, even lace fronts and wig caps). I actually enjoy wearing wigs and lacefronts. Its a great way to protect my natural hair and I have fun switching to different styles. I'm planning on braiding my hair with extensions later on this week. I try to make sure that when I braid that its never TOO tight.

I found another helpful website that helps you better understand how to grow your hair and keep it healthy.
How Black Women Can Grow Long, Healthy Hair

Below are some pics of me wearing protective styles and pics braided hairstyles I love

No comments:

Post a Comment