Thursday, October 3, 2013

The dreaded word any natural hates to hear "Breakage"!

Ladies, I am facing a dilemma and I'm so discouraged by it... Breakage. I've been doing everything I needed to do to make sure my hair is healthy and growing but I'm still experiencing breakage. Ive been wearing a protective style (box braids w/ extensions) for about 1 1/2 months now, I've been shampooing and conditioning my hair as needed (once ever 1-2 weeks), I've been moisturizing my hair daily with Shea Moisture coconut styling milk and mist and I have been sealing my hair with JBCO w/Rosemary and I've trimmed my ends on an as needed basis (every 6-8 weeks even longer) I've followed the "natural rule book" the do's and the don't's and my hair is still breaking. I've even incorporated daily scalp massages to my regimin and it seems like nothing is working at this point. It's so frustrating.  I can only guess what's causing the breakage.

Okay, so when my hair was relaxed I experienced excessive breakage in the colder months (october-February) crazy I know. In the warm months I'd notice hair growth (March- September). So I'm wonder if the change in weather has something to do with this breakage.
I did forget to mention, I'm experiencing breakage in my nape area (T'd off because it was growing so good), my edges, temple, and behind my left ear. Now the hair in those areas haven't completely broken off. Its the hair surrounding the braid that's broken off. It's difficult to explain so I'll try my best. You know how you part your hair into a "box" then place a braid? Well the actual parted hair has broken off in some spots, so you can't make a clean straight part. That's the best way that I can explain it.
Anyways, I'm also thinking that stress has contributed to my breakage. When I'm under a lot of stress, which I have been for a few weeks now (kids, bills, work ect. you know how it goes), my energy level is depleted so I might forget to moisturize my hair when needed. Then the stress itself makes my hair fall out. Hormones are thrown off balance, poor nutrition (when I'm stressed I lose my appetite), no energy= no exercise and the list goes on and on. I've tried meditating to help reduce stress but it looks like the damage is done and my hair is paying the price.

So I'm reaching out to anyone willing to help. Please help a sista out! What are some methods you've used to combat breakage?

No comments:

Post a Comment